Lime is the number one enemy of household appliances like the washing machine, boiler or water heater. A tiny millimeter of deposit on their walls and energy consumption jumps by almost 10%! This is what happens frequently, strongly impacting the monthly bill.
They are considerable and this allows you to see the usefulness of installing a water softener.
- Softener operation
- The advantages of the water softener
Its primary function is to purify water from limestone which makes it aggressive. The harmful effects are not only seen on devices but also on your skin! The softener is in the form of a reservoir. It contains polystyrene resin, loaded with sodium. Sodium ions are captured and exchanged for calcium and magnesium ions, which generate scale. Thus, hard water is filtered and softened by the softener. This must be installed at the home’s water supply point. Choosing the best water softener system is essential here.
The device is programmed according to the volume of water to be managed. It operates in two phases: service and regeneration. Indeed, when the softener is saturated, it must be “cleaned”. Its “dirty” water is sent to the sewers. Annual maintenance is imperative to ensure perfect efficiency.
The advantages of the softener
By stopping scale build-up in the boilers, the device therefore makes it possible to save money by avoiding overconsumption of energy. It also offers other daily benefits.
- It allows the water to heat up more quickly
- The softener also considerably extends the life of all household appliances operating with hot water. Your coffee machine, your washing machine, your domestic hot water tank will be operational much longer. They will also require less upkeep and maintenance. Your investments are therefore really profitable.
- It reduces the costs of household products. Calculations on the quality make it possible to realize how interesting the softener is. The savings taken into account are over 50%. Limestone indeed reduces the effectiveness of the products.
- It also reduces dermatological costs in hygiene products. No need to get shower gels, soaps, special shampoos, intended to counter the aggressive effects of hard water on the skin or hair.
- It also saves time, trying to descale a dirty bathroom is a very time-consuming activity, in addition to being unpleasant.
However, there are a few drawbacks to be taken into consideration. The softened water is slightly saltier, which may not be suitable for pregnant women, babies, or people on a low sodium diet. Also, if the softener is not properly maintained, it may there is a risk of bacteria proliferation.
To conclude, we will therefore install a water softener in regions that offer very hard water to protect its installation, save money, gain comfort and we will take care to maintain it regularly. The choice of the water softener is also important for an optimized comfort, in particular the choice of a volumetric or chronometric programmer.